Montreal man says he got ticket for “walking while black” but maybe he was just a jerk
An acquaintance of mine recently got a jaywalking ticket in the Plateau. He was rushing to work and he crossed against a light. There were cops there to greet him on the other side. One emerged from behind a bus stop and the other from behind a tree. It was a sting!
One of the cops explained that a woman had been hit on that very intersection recently. He went on to say that this is common practice for Montreal after there is a fatal accident on a street. It’s the police’s way of trying to get across the message of pedestrian safety to the public.
A major bed bug infestation has forced government offices in downtown Montreal to temporarily close down.
The Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB) has come out and said that, due to the infestation, all hearings have been canceled for Thursday.
“If you were scheduled to appear at a hearing, you will be contacted with a new date,” IRB wrote on its website.
According to CTV News, a firm has been hired to clean the effected buildings, but it may take several days before this IRB office can reopen and continue with hearings.
The Guy-Favreau Complex also houses Service Canada and Passport Canada, meaning that many Canadian citizens may be affected by the delay.
This government office is only one of many which has fallen prey to the pesky, ever resistant bed bug. As CTV Reports, only ten days ago, the Gatineau offices of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada also had to shut down due to the same problem.
The Post Millennial published the following column after an editor from a mainstream newspaper said it was “too inflammatory at the moment” and other newspapers rejected Moore’s submission.
Canada appears headed for a train wreck due to the widening chasm on energy, climate and finance policy between Alberta and Ottawa. It is possible that no combination of voting outcomes in the October 21 federal election can prevent the breakup of the federation.
Canada has been described as “a road from Ottawa to Montreal and back again”, a blunt reference to the fact that when Ontario and Quebec agree on something, the rest of us are chopped liver. This has given rise over the years to the angst known as western alienation. It has presently reached a boiling point like no other time in our history.
Premier Jason Kenny’s first move upon winning the Alberta vote was to call an inquiry into foreign (U.S.) funding of the anti-oilsands campaign. This will expose the dirty tactics of the Rockefeller Brothers-led initiative, funneling hundreds of millions of dollars into “grass-roots” environmental and First Nations front groups with the aim of landlocking Canadian oil and killing the project. Meanwhile 14 pipelines are under construction in Texas while zero are even approved in Canada.
All Canadians should imagine what it feels like for Albertans when both Ottawa and B.C. treat them like a hostile foreign power. B.C. pretends it doesn’t absolutely depend on Alberta for its transport and aviation fuel while blocking the Trans Mountain Pipeline that would bring Alberta oil to tidewater for export. And Eastern Canada prefers oil brought in tankers from Saudi Arabia, Nigeria and Venezuela rather than Canadian oil from Alberta via the stalled Energy East Pipeline. Meanwhile Ottawa bans tankers on the Pacific coast.
Whether it’s the Conservatives or the Liberals that are able to form a government in October, both are committed to the Paris Agreement on climate change. This applies in spades to both the Greens and the NDP. Only the People’s Party of Canada has pledged to quit Paris and to unabashedly support the oilsands and the pipelines that are needed to deliver it to Eastern Canada and to tidewater in B.C. So long as our federal government supports this anti-fossil fuel fraud there will be no further investment in Alberta’s and Canada’s most important energy sector. Meanwhile, some signatories to the Paris Agreement, such as China and India, are free to increase their emissions with no restriction.
Alberta’s first move after the election will likely be to hold a referendum calling for a renegotiation of the equalization payments formula. Under the present formula, Alberta is required to make large payments despite their now very difficult economic situation. An inevitably successful referendum result would force Ottawa and the other provinces to the table, but it is likely the talks will fail, increasing resentment in the province. Then Premier Kenny will have the ammunition he needs to call for a referendum on the separation of Alberta from Canada. This may pass with a comfortable majority.
Saskatchewan would almost certainly join Alberta,and Manitoba would definitely consider it. What British Columbia will do is anybody’s guess, but if they decide to stay with Ottawa they will be decidedly isolated. Although a bit far-fetched, the real wild card is Ontario. This would be an opportunity to realize what has been called “Ontario and West”as the new Canada. The fact that Ontario has needed Quebec’s agreement all these years has led to a certain resentment of the fact, often accompanied by what might be called extortion on Quebec’s part. Quebec separatists may get what they bargained for without having to win a referendum of their own! Lord knows how the Maritime Provinces would react to any of this.
I realize that many Canadians, particularly those in the eastern half of the country, don’t believe any of this could ever happen. They should take a vacation in Alberta to smarten themselves up. It’s not very nice to be treated like a leper when you are one of the main economic providers for people who call your oil “dirty” and “filthy” while they import the same product from despots, dictators and corrupt regimes in Saudi Arabia, Nigeria, and Venezuela.
Dr. Patrick Moore is a native British Columbian, a co-founder of Greenpeace and an ecologist with wide international experience in energy and climate policy. He is presently the Chairman of the CO2 Coalition in Washington DC.
A central “kingpin” and 30 others have been arrested, with 300 charges being laid in a major investigation into human trafficking and organized crime.
The investigation started when two Quebec women reached out to police in Ontario, with the investigation following suit over the next year.
Project Convalesce by the York Regional Police uncovered a network of criminals who used fraud to prop up a trafficking operation that spanned across several provinces, with police resources being used from four different police services across Ontario and Quebec.
York Regional Police Insp. Thai Truong told reporters that the investigation started when the two female victims revealed information about a suspected pimp, who police now believe to be the “kingpin” of the operation.
“We started uncovering and unravelling a large criminal network,” said Truong to CBC at the news conference in Aurora.
Police have since been able to identify 12 confirmed victims, with an additional 33 women who are believed to have been in contact with the group.
Victim’s ages range from 20 to mid-30s.
“We’re hoping they reach out to us. They may smile at you, they may not appear to be controlled or victimized. That is not true. We have seen the horrific things that are happening to these women,” said Truong of the victims.
Police believe that most of the women in the operation came from Quebec but had been relocated to Ontario and other provinces.
“These victims endured violent assaults, sexual assaults and other degrading circumstances as they were controlled by these violent criminals.”
Police went on to say that the investigation remains active, as police still seek several suspects.
“Investigators are willing to speak with anyone involved in the sex trade who may be looking for a way out or who may require assistance to escape these dangerous circumstances,” York police said in a release on Tuesday.
On Saturday, a 16-year-old boy was stabbed just after midnight on Côte-des-Neiges Rd. in Montreal. The boy remains in a serious but stable condition.
Montreal police Const. Manuel Couture said the stabbing occurred following a brief argument that quickly broke down into violence. According to the Montreal Gazette, he was stabbed in the upper body and was rushed to a nearby hospital.
He survived serious injuries and was stabilized soon after.
Currently, there are no arrests and no substantial suspects. Couture believes the boy will recover soon.
Police are now investigating security footage while they wait to interview the youth once he recovers.
In a speech on Wednesday, Scheer addressed many concerns regarding illegal immigration at the Roxham Road crossing. The road separates the U.S. from Quebec and is a hot spot of illegal entry into Canada, with prospective migrants simply crossing the border and immediately claiming asylum, leading to a process that can sometimes take years to resolve.
“For Canadians to have faith in the immigration system, the rules have to be followed and the laws have to be enforced. As prime minister, that’s exactly what I will do,” Scheer said.
According to CBC, “Between January and August this year, RCMP intercepted 10,343 people entering the country from the U.S. outside legal border points, the vast majority of them at Roxham Road. That’s down from 14,125 in the same period in 2018.”
A major talking point was the prospective correcting of the Safe Third Country Agreement (STCA) with the U.S., which allows migrants to claim in Canada, despite having crossed through the U.S. first.
“We want to make sure that when people come into Canada, we are putting the safety and security of Canadians first. That is paramount,” Scheer continued.
He also clarified that while he wants to tackle immigration from unofficial crossing points, he would like to promote legal economic immigration into Canada.
To facilitate these changes and protections, Scheer promised to hire “250 new Canada Border Services Agency officers, more Immigration and Refugee Board judges to “hotspots” to expedite claims, and closely monitor criminal groups that pose a threat to Canada, including MS-13 gang members,” reports CBC.
The Quebec government is still waging war against the often-heard “bonjour-hi” greeting used by shopkeeps, bar staff, and government workers throughout Montreal.
According to CTV, the Minister to the French Language Simon Jolin-Barrette was questioned Friday by the Parti Quebecois about what the provincial CAQ government would intend to do about re-emboldening Quebec’s Bill 101, the province’s Charter of the French Language.
Jolin-Barrette said “everything is on the table,” going on to say that he has been working with “businesses and government officials” to encourage the use of “bonjour” as the only greeting to be used with clientele.
“People want to be greeted in French in companies and businesses, but also by the Quebec state,” Jolin-Barrette said. “So that will be a part of our thinking.”