Liberal Party Returning to Earth
Recent polls show a drastic drop in support for the Liberal party across the nation, as voters leave their big tent angry from such decisions as pipeline approvals, high debts, and other issues.
Going through their time in government we found that the Liberal party had in fact broken 36 promises spread across multiple branches of government. Here is a list of 22 of those broken promises.
Our List Of Liberal Broken Promises
- The promised 9 % small business tax (from 11%) did not occur.
- They have failed to drop the federal debt to GDP ratio to 31%
- Their deficits did not stay anywhere near the projected number of $10 billion
- They did not provide $100 million each year to the provinces and territories to support guns and gangs police task forces.
- The 2016 middle-class tax cut combined with the new 33% tax bracket was not revenue neutral.
- The $3 billion promised to help home care never occurred. Not one new dollar was put forward.
- Half the promised amount was put into green energy. Instead of the promised 6 billion over four years.
- Half the promised amount was put into industry research.
- Less than half the promised amount was put into jobs training and skills.
- They failed to Create a common, quarterly, and more detailed parliamentary expense report.
- Failed Ending first-past-the-post voting system and explore alternative electoral reform options.
- Failed at ending MSM blood donation ban.
- Welcomed less than 25,000 Syrian refugees by the end of 2015.
- Did not Immediately implement the imported gun-marking regulations as promised.
- Did not Re-establish lifelong pensions as an option for injured veterans.
- Did not Invest $50 million in additional annual funding to the native Post-Secondary Student Support Program.
- Did not provide the Veto First Nation communities were promised over natural resource development in their territories.
- Did not immediately adopt the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP) and ensure every new policy and law would meet its principles.
- Did not raise 2% cap on funding for first nation programs.
- Cut army costs rather than maintaining or increasing.
- Change the House of Commons Standing Orders to end practice of using inappropriate omnibus bills to reduce scrutiny of legislative measures.
- Do not buy the F-35s, and immediately launch an open and transparent competition and reduce the procurement budget to replace the current CF-18s.
Government Takes Veterans to Court
Besides this list of broken promises, broken promises to veterans seem increasingly tense as the Federal government has now taken veterans to court as they refuse to uphold their campaign promise of re-instating lifelong pensions for injured war veterans. While they take veterans to court they have also refused to meet their promise to invest $80 million each year for new education benefits, going further to now also refuse to cover the cost of post-education.
Looking at this list it becomes obvious that the anger and general discontent that is occurring is not a fluke.
The Prime Minister won his election by promising fundamentally opposing things and bringing those people into his tent. He did not create a new vision for people to follow but instead allowed them each to see their vision through him.
“The Budget Will Balance Itself”
You can’t please first nation communities, oil workers, inner-city businessmen, the Albertan farmers, and Quebec nationalists all at the same time. You can’t afford to pay for everyone, and at the end of the day, you will have to make decisions.
As the Prime Minister makes these budget choices more and more people will leave the Liberal tent unless Trudeau can manage to drastically change what people want, and what they see as in their interest, and with his polls dropping it seems the Prime Minister lacks that skill.
To keep the country afloat it seems he has sacrificed the army, the first nation communities he promised to protect, and now potentially the crippled workers of Alberta.
What is your opinion on the Liberal Parties broken promises?