The Post Millennial is one of Canada’s biggest and fastest growing centre-right news organizations.
The Software Developer role is responsible for creating technical solutions to support key parts of our business including digital advertising and branded content.
This role ensures that our digital products deliver the revenue we need to support our journalism, while also balancing reader experience and engagement.
Specialization is something we simply cannot afford at this time. Each person on our team will do a little bit of everything. We expect you to have worked with WordPress while also being prepared to ship hybrid mobile apps, develop ad networks, and work on just about every other section of the business. We’re not looking for someone to mentor; we’re looking for leaders who can clear the way for their colleagues. Handled server-side scaling challenges? Check. Responsive site and app clients? Piece of cake. Manage a large scale google ad campaign? Easily.
Can handle a fast moving work environment filled with a degree of secrecy? Give us a call.
Responsibilities, Skills, & Requirements
- As a developer on the team, you’ll be comfortable working on the back-end and front-end. We currently use WordPress but will be moving to a new system, ideally managed by you. You should ideally have 5+ years of building large-scale websites and content distribution systems
- Experience with Software version management systems, Cloud computing platforms, and databases
- You have built REST APIs that process large amounts of data
- You have a degree in computer science, web development or equivalent work experience
- You have a deep understanding of best coding practices, unit testing, version control, and a strong interest in automation
Good to have:
- Experience with relational databases (MySQL or PostgreSQL)
- Experience with Ansible, Chef or Docker
- Experience with Google’s and Facebook’s stack of ad tools including Google Search Console, Google My Business, Facebook Ads Manager, Facebook Pixels
- Deep understanding of the adsense tools within the Google Marketing Platform
- Experience developing continuous integration and continuous delivery pipelines (e.g. Jenkins, Travis, etc.)
- Experience working with third-party or developing your own dynamic pay-wall systems.
What We Offer
- Flexible working hours
- Fantastic work environment in a rapidly developing media start-up.
What We Can Negotiate
- Group health insurance
We believe in hiring the best people from the widest pool, and also in including them, fostering a culture where people’s voices can be heard and our employees look forward to coming to work.
This position can be based out of Montreal, QC or Toronto, ON.
To apply for this position you must already have the right to work in Canada.
Please upload your CV and cover letter as one document. You should also highlight the extent to which your skills/experience meets the requirements of the role and your motivation behind applying.
Our interview process involves three stages: a phone interview, a pairing test and a face to face interview. We offer a remote pairing test for candidates who would have to travel a long distance to our office in Montreal or Toronto.
If you are successful in the phone interview and remote pairing test you will then need you to arrange to come to our office for a further pairing test and a face to face interview.