The former leader of Ontario’s Progressive Conservative party is not going down without a fight.
Patrick Brown said earlier this week in an interview with Postmedia that he’s contemplating legal action to restore his reputation in the wake of sexual misconduct allegations, which he calls “absolute lies.”
He furthermore posted on his Facebook page today that he will present proof. In the post, he explained that the events were not told as they actually occurred and that both stories where likely fake.
He stated “the first accuser told a story about an incident that she claimed took place in my second floor, upstairs bedroom with the door closed. At the time of the alleged incident, I lived in a ground floor, open concept apartment and there was no second-floor bedroom nor a door to any bedroom. THIS STORY IS FALSE. Interestingly, I understand from the first accuser’s Facebook and from people we both know that she was housemates with a CTV reporter.”
Patrick Brown also said “the second accuser’s story is also absurdly false. It was she who tried to kiss me, while the woman I was seeing was in another room. I stopped her immediately and offered to drive her home, which I did. There are at least three witnesses, one of whom even spoke to CTV, which refute the details of her allegations. CTV left that out of the story.”
It will be interesting to see what will occur as a result of his attempts to clear his name, but one thing is for certain.
Due process was skipped here, and there is more to understand. The media and his own party responded without the public hearing the accused’s side and that in itself is a problem. We are shifting to a society in which serial and thought out arguments are not needed, where proof is not needed.
An environment in which fear mongering, allegations and momentary scandals fanned by social media end careers and lives. It is time we demanded answers from CTV and furthermore listened to all sides before making decisions.
Background: Two women, who were not publicly identified in the CTV report, said unwanted sexual advances were made when they were drunk and Brown, a teetotaler and Conservative MP for Barrie at the time, was sober.
Leadership Response: Ontario Progressive Conservative party leadership candidate Christine Elliott says that if her predecessor can clear his name, he should be able to run for the party in the next election.
Update: The reporter which broke the Patrick Brown story for CTV may have been suspended.
— What She Said! (@WhatSheSaidTalk) February 12, 2018
Update 2: CTV has confirmed that parts of the story where false. The two accusers maintain their “core” story still stands.
CTV now reports that accuser of Patrick Brown recounts key piece: she was not underage in bar and not in high school but she “stands by her core story” and CTV stands by their original story. In a court of law this would shred a case. CTV credibility is on very, very thin ice.
— John Wright (@JohnWrightLive) February 14, 2018
Update 3: Patrick Brown has posted publicly displaying some of the problems behind CTV’s reporting.
Update 4: Patrick has announced that he will be suing CTV.
Update 5: Patrick Brown has passed a lie detector test on this subject.