Focus on Sturgeon River – Parkland
Conservative nomination candidate Rick Peterson announced today that he will open a local Conservative Party constituency office if elected Member of Parliament for Sturgeon River – Parkland.
“Peterson said that grassroots Party members in the area have told him they would clearly benefit from having a base where they can organize membership drives and local events and deal with Party issues that cannot be handled inside the nonpartisan offices of a Member of Parliament.
“A local Party office staffed with a full-time outreach coordinator would be a powerful tool to help grow our local membership and raise Sturgeon River – Parkland’s profile and impact locally as well as in Ottawa,” said Peterson, a Spruce Grove businessman and 30-year Party member who was also a candidate in the Conservative leadership contest that elected Andrew Scheer in May.
“As the Conservative MP for Sturgeon River – Parkland, I will find individual, private-sector donors to support our Electoral District Association by having a full-time office opened and staffed.”
Peterson also continued to gain momentum and build a nationwide movement by adding Vancouver Centre EDA president Roy Grinshpan to his list of endorsers.
“Rick is a breath of fresh air into the Ottawa bubble of political insiders,” noting his private-sector experience, ability to communicate fluently in both French and English, as well as his proven debating and media skills”
“I can personally attest to Rick Peterson’s support of the grassroots. Of all the former leadership candidates, Rick had the most transformational policy proposals for EDAs… which provides a glimpse into the devoted constituency work that voters of Sturgeon River – Parkland can expect from Rick if they elect him.”
“Rick is optimally positioned to deliver Andrew Scheer’s message to both grassroots and media, with exceptional impact, in both official languages. This in turn will help augment the voice of Sturgeon River – Parkland’s electors on the national stage.”
Roy is the newest addition to a list which includes former leadership candidates Kevin O’Leary and Deepak Obrhai.
Peterson website currently displays a platform based on the following three broad areas.
1. A Stronger Economy
- Zero % corporate income tax – to drive investment into Canada and our region, increase productivity and allow companies to reinvest in their business
- 15% flat federal income tax rate for all individuals
- Double TFSA contribution limits and expand eligible investments to private small businesses and start-ups
2. A Safer Community
- Smarter firearms policy – allow concealed carry for off-
duty police officers, military, Canadian Border Service Agents; allow handguns for farmers, fishermen, forestry workers and prospectors; scrap the Canadian Firearms Advisory Committee
- More support for seniors – higher tax credits, reduced fees on federal licenses/passports/passes, tax credits for businesses hiring seniors, more mentorship opportunities for seniors
- Dealing with the fentanyl crisis – harsher sentences for fentanyl dealers; offer a bounty on drug dealers and a share of their bounty for turning them in
3. More Grassroots Support
- Riding support – I will be the strongest advocate for promoting our Electoral District Association’s concerns with Party HQ and the Office of the Leader. Working with our Conservative EDA and its board, we will assure that our riding has a high profile and a voice in all decisions made at National Council.
- Community involvement – I will be visible, accessible and responsive to your needs as your MP and will be active in all elements of business, social, cultural and community events in Sturgeon River-Parkland as we seek to expand our membership and increase our profile in the community.
- National profile – as a former Conservative leadership candidate and businessman with a wide network of contacts across Canada, I will make sure that our riding continues to have the same profile and visibility it enjoyed under the leadership of Rona Ambrose.
By Election Information
If you are a resident of the Sturgeon River – Parkland area and would like to partake in Conservative nomination meeting, you can do so on Friday, October 13th in Morinville, AB and on Saturday, October 14th in Spruce Grove, AB.
Residents in the EDA who purchase Conservative Party memberships before midnight on September 18th will be eligible to vote in the nomination contest.