After receiving results from a mental fitness assessment, the court has found that the man charged with perpetrating the Edmonton Sept 30th Attacks is mentally fit to stand trial in his own defense. Now, the court is awaiting results from a second test, not criminally responsible (NCR) assessment, regarding his “mental stability” during the Sep. 30th attacks.

Abdulahi Sharif faces a dozen charges, including five for attempted murder, during the 2017 Edmonton attacks on September 30th, where a police officer was stabbed, and four pedestrians intentional hit by a U-Haul, while leading the police in a chase through downtown Edmonton.

On November 14th, 2017, Sharif’s lawyer, Karanpal Aujla, requested that the judge issue orders for mental health exams to see if Sharif was not criminally responsible at the time of the September 30th attacks and whether he would be mentally fit to stand a trail. The order for the mental health assessments were given November 14, 2017, however there had been a delay in there completion due to bed shortages at Alberta Hospital.

On Friday, the court heard the final findings of the fitness assessment, the first to be completed. The role of the fitness assessment was to discover if the suspect, Abdulahi Sharif, would be able to understand what is happening in court proceedings, his attorney said. The court found Sharif fit to stand trial.

Whereas the completed fitness test determined Sharif is mentally coherent presently, the second test will assess if he was mentally stable at the time of the alleged offence. The court is still awaiting the completion of the second assessment which will determine if Sharif is “criminally responsible” for his actions during the Sept. 30th attacks.

Sharif found asylum in Canada, after having been deported from the U.S., where he arrived by foot at the California-Mexico border without any documentation. An U.S. immigration judge ordered Sharif to be deported to Somalia in 2011, but the deportation was never completed due to his release on the basis of “lack of likelihood of his removal”. It is believe Sharif made his way to Canada, after missing an appointment with the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

A spokesman for the office of Canada’s public safety said that his previous questionable status in the United States, did not  have any influence in seeking asylum in Canada.

In the past, former federal defense minister, Jason Kenney, has called for the removal of Abdulahi Sharif, criticizing the acceptance of asylum seekers from those who have been turned down in the U.S. and other countries.

Although an ISIS flag was found in Sharif’s car after the attacks, the authorities have not made any charges pertaining to terrorism. Instead, Sharif faces five counts of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle, one count of fighting causing bodily harm, one count of a possession of a weapon, and five attempted murder charges.

Abdulahi Shari is ordered to appear back in court February 12.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here